Followers

I took my first outdoors, after 6pm picture of the year. It was a beautiful, warm spring-is-finally-here sort of day. Much of the day was spent in the green house repotting sage and echinacea and snapdragons and tomatoes and peppers and nasturtium and three tiny lavender that I'm not giving up on. And dinner was a perfect cap to the day. I had grilled asparagus and cantaloupe and bread and pasta.

This pasta sauce is striking. It's got canned and sun-dried tomatoes with plenty of thyme and miso and a squeeze of lemon juice. For some time, I've wanted to create a sauce that had the strong flavor of sun dried tomatoes without being overpowering. After a few test batches, I came up with this.

SDT Pasta

Pasta with Sun Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
1 lb dried pasta
3 cups boiling water
1/3 cups raw cashews
2 cloves garlic
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 1/2 tbs miso
6.3 oz oil packed sun dried tomatoes, drained (4 oz drained)
2 tsp fresh thyme
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs olive oil
15 oz can diced tomatoes (undrained)

Bring a pot of water to boil. While the water is heating, combine all ingredients except the can of diced tomatoes in the blender.  Add three cups boiling water and blend thoroughly until the sauce is smooth and creamy.  Add the undrained can of diced tomatoes and pulse for a few pulses.  Pour over the cooked, drained pasta and let set for a couple minutes, stirring occasionally.

 5 Servings:  536 cal (16g fat, 84g carbs, 16g protein)

A note about blenders and hot water:  I have a KitchenAid 5-Speed Blender.
It's a monster:  heavy duty, huge capacity and blends everything--and i love it.  But I've also had a $20 Oester and a stop-gap $7 blender off brand blender.  They all do the job.  There are two keys with blenders and hot liquids.  First, Take the center piece out of the lid and cover the lid with a paper towel.  When you blend hot liquid, it builds up pressure and will explode.  With the center piece out, there's no pressure.  Second, don't overfill your blender.  I try to keep the blender no more than 1/2 to 2/3 full.  Smaller batches always blend better anyway.

, , , |

SHARE THIS POST:








edit post

12 comments

  1. Katie Says:
  2. I have a bunch of cashews and I wasn't sure what to do with them--this looks like a tasty solution!

     
  3. Bou Shin Says:
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.  
  5. Anonymous Says:
  6. That looks so good, I love those fat noodles. Yum!

     
  7. Beach Mama Says:
  8. Yum! I use sundried tomatoes in my marinara and alone with scads of veggies but have never tried a 'cream' sauce. I cannot wait to try this with soaked cashews! Thank you!

     
  9. Jill Says:
  10. Thanks for the great recipe!

    I left out the oil and used regular sun dried tomatoes and it was still awesome!

    http://jillianbenson.tumblr.com/post/4623620338/dish-cashew-cream-and-sundried-tomato-pasta-with

     
  11. SAMZE Says:
  12. I stumbled upon this recipe via pineterest. Made it tonight for the family and it was HIT!!! OMG, this is delicious! :)

    Thank you so much for sharing with all of us in cyberland! :)

     
  13. This looks phenomenal. Thanks for sharing. :)

     
  14. Looks yummy! thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! Wish me luck, will try this soon!

     
  15. Andrea Says:
  16. I just posted this on my Pinterest board! Matt, what kind of noodles are those? I've never found any nice broad vegan noodles like that. Wow, I just noticed someone else pinned this recipe months ago!

     
  17. I found the pasta at a local grocery chain. They're the only fettuccine-like noodle that doesn't have egg in it. The brand is Colavita

     
  18. Andrea Says:
  19. Oh sorry, this didn't work out well for me. I used rehydrated SDTs, one half cup. Was that bad? They did make the whole thing sort of brown. I went a little bit heavy on the cashews and garlic, AND I only added 2c boiling water to my VitaMix, and was very glad of that since it was none too thick. But in the end, it just didn't taste like much.

     
  20. Andrea, when I make this sauce, it is quite thick. It could be that you used fewer tomatoes than I do. Oil packed tomatoes are also packed in a potent oil, that may also make a difference. . . or it could be that you don't like it.

    Thank you for trying it and especially for commenting back. I always enjoy feedback.

     

Label Cloud

   

Popular Posts