Followers

Indian: a mixed bag today!

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Today, I learned that messy and turmeric do not mix! I intended to make saag and red dal, all sopped up with cauliflower stuffed parathas. I'd never made parathas before, so I did some research and decided to try a couple different techniques. I made a batch of mashed cauliflower, colored orange with turmeric and cayenne. With each attempt, I covered my countertop, my chopping board, hands, rolling pin ... and one of the cats with a turmeric colored glop. The cat's black, he'll survive.

And then there was the Saag. One of my favorite comfort foods, I always indulge in this treat, laden with butter and heavy cream. So, today, I made it with silken tofu and, although not as creamy, it was definitely a treat. I indulged with a clear conscience too.



Saag
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 bunches of spinach (2 1/2 lbs leaves), washed & roughly chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded & chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
3/4 tsp salt
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp whole cumin seeds
4 tbs Earth Balance Margarine
12 oz silken tofu, pressed & drained

Heat oil in a saute pan. Add onions and jalapenos and cook until the onions begin to brown. Add the tomatoes and cook until reduced to a pulp. Add the spinach and salt and saute for about 10 minutes.

Puree the tofu, adding a bit of liquid from the spinach if necessary. Set aside. In batches, transfer the spinach to a blender and puree.

In a clean saute pan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the garlic and whole cumin seeds and cook until aromatic. Stir in the spinach puree and tofu and simmer for about 20 minutes. Makes about 2 quarts.

8 Servings: 135 cal (9g fat, 9g carbs, 7g protein)

, |

SHARE THIS POST:








edit post

2 comments

  1. delia jones Says:
  2. Awesome. When you say butter, do you mean margarine?

     
  3. Yeah, I do. I use Earth Balance.

     

Label Cloud

   

Popular Posts