Followers

Golden Cauliflower Soup

Monday, November 24, 2008

I've been working on seitan cutlets lately. I'm trying to make a beefy recipe that doesn't use any marmite and, today, a chicken-y style. I made VeganDad's Chicken-Style Seitan Cutlets for use later this week. I simmered it in the oven for 75 minutes, flipping a couple times, and never letting the broth boil. I cut one up and passed around. My youngest (the picky one) screamed "why are you feeding me meat!" She liked it and that's success!

In other news, I made Golden Cauliflower Soup. It's yummy golden-hued goodness that's of coarse cheese free. I used to really love this soup, but the cheese version had 500 calories a bowl. The new version is healthy and tasty as well. I made a double batch for lunches and don't expect much left over.

golden_cauliflower_soup

Golden Cauliflower Soup
3 Cups water
2 Cauliflower Florets
2 cups Potaotes, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup cashews
4 tbs Earth Balance Margarine
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups soy milk
Seasoning:
2 tbs nutritional yeast
2 tsp mild miso
1/2 tbs lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine water with the cauliflower, potatoes, celery, carrots, onions, garlic, and cashews. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and continue cooking for about 5 minutes. Whisk in the soy milk and the nutritional yeast, miso, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Reduce to low and simmer.

In batches, blend the vegetables and add to the milk mixture. Stir thoroughly to combine. Test and adjust with salt and pepper, if necessary.

6 Servings 215 cal (12g fat, 22g carbs, 7g protein)

, |

SHARE THIS POST:








edit post

3 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. WOW! That soup looks so tasty!
    I made cauliflower-potato soup today and split it in half. Added old cheddar to the other half for my currently non-vegan boyfriend. He hasn't had many "taste" experiences and he is really enjoying all of my vegan cooking. He thought it would be tasteless and is surprised it's not!

     
  3. Anonymous Says:
  4. That soup looks great! I'll have to give it a try sometime.

    I'll also have to try out your cooking method for the seitan. I have not had good luck with seitan texture-wise and I think you might be on to something. :)

     
  5. I baked the seitan in an uncovered casserole at 350 degrees and had to pop the door open a couple times to kill the boil, so maybe 325 next time. I'm sure Vegandad's was a bite from heaven, but I'm never patient enough to cook something for 7 hours =)

     

Label Cloud

   

Popular Posts