Followers

Chickpea Burgers

Monday, February 2, 2009

I made a big pot of chickpeas yesterday. This week, then, my kitchen will be chickpea central. I made Moroccan Chickpea Stew for lunches, Hummus for breakfast and at least two chickpea based dinners. And if my middle one isn't burned out on chickpea salad yet (she's had it every lunch for two weeks now), I'll make more chickpea salad. Maybe I'll freeze some, just to see how it thaws.

Tonight's dinner was Chickpea Burgers. I like burgers and I make several different kinds, out of chickpeas, black beans, split peas ... even zucchini. All my burgers, though, have two constants. I always bake them and I always make big batches and freeze them. I pull them out of the freezer and either rebake with fries or tater tots, them or nuke them for a quick lunch.

I like the texture of these burgers. They're not mushy or chewy, but have a nice toothsome feel. And with cumin and ginger rounding out the seasonings, they taste just different enough.

chickpea_burger

Chickpea Burgers
1/4 cup dry brown rice
1/4 cup dry lentils
1/2 tsp cumin seed (See Note)
1 cup water
1 can Chickpeas
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1 tbs ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp coriander
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp browning sauce
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs catsup
1/4 cup vegetable broth (about)
3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup chickpea flour

Note: I used a teaspoon of cumin seed, my wife would have preferred about half that. I've been on a big cumin kick lately, so she's probably right.

Combine brown rice, lentils and 1 cup water. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to lowest setting and cook until the lentils and rice are soft and a bit over done, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir so they get a little mashed up.

Roughly mash the chickpeas, so that there are no whole beans, but they are not mashed to a paste. Add all other ingredients and need dough until the wheat gluten begins to bind. You may cover and refrigerate for up to a day. Split into 8 evenly sized balls and flatten the balls into thin patties.

When you are ready to make the burgers, pour some vegetable oil onto a cookie sheet, put in the oven and set it to preheat to 400 degrees. When the oven is heated, put the patties on the hot baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.

8 Servings: 179 cal (5g fat, 21g carbs, 14g protein)

, , |

SHARE THIS POST:








edit post

6 comments

  1. WOAH! Chickpea overload!!
    Chickpeas have to be one of my most favourite things in the world. I just douse them in Black Pepper and eat them like Popcorn. YUM, so good.
    The Burgers look ace, you're always one step ahead of me you are, I'm making burgers tonight!! I have some leftover veggies to use up and I'll chuck in some Pinto Beans and Sweetcorn. Oh - I always make extra and freeze them too. They're so good for a meal when time is an issue.

     
  2. Anonymous Says:
  3. These look awesome! I'm also making some burgers tonight, but not with chickpeas. I've made chickpea burgers before and used dried chickpeas (soaked overnight), which worked out well (same way I make falafel).

    You've inspired me to try out my old recipe again-- maybe I'll try to incorporate some of your spices into it to give it new life!

     
  4. Anonymous Says:
  5. Wow--these look amazing! Thank you so much!

    Courtney

     
  6. Anonymous Says:
  7. Can you tell me what lentils you use?

     
  8. I just use plain old brown lentils.

     
  9. Vita Says:
  10. Going to try these WITHOUT wheat gluten (as I don't do gluten). Might try a cooked sweet potato, or maybe an egg (though I realize they will no longer be vegan; but I'm not allergic to eggs...) In fact, by the time I get through with them, this recipe will have been mostly the INSPIRATION!! lol But I love your site, and have enjoyed all your recipes I've tried! Thanks!!

     

Label Cloud

   

Popular Posts