Followers

BBQ Black Eyed Pea Burgers

Monday, April 20, 2009

The weather had finally turned, here in Eugene. The sun was warm and there was no rain/hail/locusts. It was perfect weather to kick back on the deck and nurse a couple of beers. So that's what I did. I had made these wonderful black eyed pea burgers earlier in the day, so i pulled them from the fridge, slapped them on the barbeque with some potatoes and enjoyed my beer.

April BBQ

BBQ Black Eyed Pea Burgers
3 cups black eyed peas, 2 cans or 1/2 pound dried
1 onion, grated
1/2 small sweet potato, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp browning sauce
1 tbs soy sauce
1 cup barbecue sauce
1.2 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup vital wheat gluten
oil for frying

Roughly mash the black eyed peas, so that there are just a few whole beans. Do not mash the beans to a paste. Add all other ingredients and need dough until the ingredients are thoroughly combined. If you've made burgers before, the dough will be wetter than is typical. You may cover and refrigerate for up to a day. Split into 8 evenly sized balls and flatten the balls into thin patties.

When you are ready to make the burgers, pour some vegetable oil onto a cookie sheet, put in the oven and set it to preheat to 425 degrees. When the oven is heated, put the patties on the hot baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.

These are best cooled and reheated. By intention, they are soft coming out of the oven, but they won't dry out too much if you fry or BBQ them after they've been chilled.

To Finish,

Fry Option: Pour a little barbeque sauce in a fry pan and fry the patties over medium heat until warmed.

BBQ: Put the patties on the outer (cooler) edges of an outdoor, baste with BBQ sauce and turn a couple times. Cook until heated through.

Microwave: Microwave either chilled or frozen patties until cooked though. Feel free to add more bbq sauce at any point.

12 Servings: 143 cal (3g fat, 16g carbs, 13g protein)

, , , |

SHARE THIS POST:








edit post

3 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. these sound terrific! I want to make them tonight, wish I had some black-eyed peas soaked!

     
  3. I should have posted this long ago, but I must have forgotten. These burgers are outstanding. This reminds me that I should make them again soon!

     
  4. Dazy Says:
  5. I'm making this tonight. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!

     

Label Cloud

   

Popular Posts