Followers

Crafty Macaroni and Cheese

Monday, June 15, 2009

With the end of school nearing, the girls will be on their own more often for lunches. I wanted to give them an option that was quick, easy and, at least, somewhat healthy. Plus it's Mac & Cheese. For me, there has always been something decadent about that blue box and its processed powder. And here's my rendition of that cheezy, powdery goodness.

mac-n-cheese

Crafty Mac & Cheese
3 cups macaroni pasta
2 cups boiling water
2 tbs vegetble oil
1/2 cup cashews, finely ground
1/4 cup oats, ground in a spice grinder
2 tbs soy milk powder
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tbs lemon pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric

For the spice mix: Grind cashews and shake it through a sifter. Grind the oats in a spice grinder. Combine with the other dry ingredients.

For the pasta: Cook the macaroni according to package directions in salt-free water. Drain in a colander, reserving 2 cups of the boiling water. Combine the reserved water with the powder in a blender and blend until combined. Stir the oil into the pasta, then pour the sauce over the pasta and stir until the sauce thickens a bit.

Note: You can skip the blender step and just stir the powder into the pasta. This will work just fine, but the pasta will become a little gritty as it sits.

4 Serving: 510 cal (18g fat, 71g carbs, 19g protein)

, , |

SHARE THIS POST:








edit post

20 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. I'd just rather make a box of that Mac and Chreese!

     
  3. gwgjoan Says:
  4. This looks like genius! My kids will be asking for lots of Mac and Ch this summer with no school! I will need to try this.

     
  5. Anonymous Says:
  6. That photo looks AMAZING! You have me drooling...

    Courtney

     
  7. Anonymous, I'd rather my profile fit in the bathroom mirror =)

    Kraft Mac & Cheese, Prepared (2.5 oz): 18g fat, 11g saturated fat, 52g cholesterol,9g sugar, 12g protein and only 1g dietary fiber.

    My Mac & Cheese, prepared (4.5 oz): 18g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g cholesterol-duh!, 3g sugar, 19g protein and almost 6g dietary fiber.

     
  8. I find boxed food cheap and distasteful.
    This, however, is creamy goodness that I can feel really good about giving the kids. Plus, the kids are worth the extra effort.

     
  9. Homemade, vegan, dairy-free, and if I use rice pasta it will be gluten free - can't beat it! Thank you for another yummy sounding alternative mac & cheeze.

    ~Ellen

     
  10. Sarah Says:
  11. This is so awesome! I've been needing a quick mac & cheese recipe, as the one I usually prepare takes waayy too long for a 5 year olds patience. Thank you!

     
  12. Anonymous Says:
  13. That looks much more appetizing than the stuff that comes from the box! I always thought that stuff was gross.

     
  14. Oh my! That looks soooo ridiculously good!
    Another fab recipe Matt - thank you.
    :)

     
  15. Anonymous Says:
  16. Matt I think the other anon was talking about boxed vegan "mac and Chreese" not Kraft. Just my two cents. Though I am sure fresh is better than anything in a box.

     
  17. Brea Says:
  18. This is genius! I'll have to try it soon. I was a mac & cheese addict (until I became vegan...now I have trouble finding a mac & cheez recipe that holds its own)! LOL :) Thank you for sharing!

     
  19. OMG! Totally impressed!! We tried this today and I hate to admit I wasn't expecting much because I haven't YET found a vegan Mac-n-cheese that my kids and I will all willingly eat... AND One easy enough for the KIDS to make themselves. I know, I know, high hopes for a vegan mac-n-cheese, right? Well, I'm VERY HAPPY to announce that this is a HIT in our family and ALL OF US LIKE IT... AND hungry teen-types can MAKE THE DARN STUFF THEMSELVES! (Can you tell I'm happy?)

     
  20. Dani Says:
  21. I just made this and it's so good!! Thanks Matt!

     
  22. Allison Says:
  23. Had this for dinner tonight...Overall I was impressed with the recipe, but I think for me the mustard was a little too strong, I will cut it down next time. The texture and color are amazing though, and the idea of the oat flour to thicken it up is genius. Definitely a better concept than the usual tofu-based recipes. Thanks!

     
  24. Anonymous Says:
  25. It was very interesting for me to read this post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

     
  26. Anonymous Says:
  27. Can it be made without cashews? We have a child here allergic to them!

     
  28. I use cashews because they blend well, they're neutral and my wife's not allergic. You might try peanuts (which I never will), or sunflower seeds or sesame seeds, or some combination. I don't think cashews are essential.

     
  29. Anonymous Says:
  30. I am allergic to paprika, does it matter if I leave it out? For all the years I've searching for Vegan websites, I've never come up with your site, and I do have to say it is inspiring in all ways...

    Many thanks for such a deightful blog, the recipes sound and look amazing.

    VeggieGal

     
  31. It should be just fine without the paprika, VeggieGal. And I'm glad you found me. Hope you enjoy.

     
  32. ShellyBean Says:
  33. Oh boy! Thanks so much for this interesting vegan recipe. I've been reading through vegan "cheese" sites for a day & half now, as I'm quite new to this lifestyle. This one has honestly been the most unique to me, and one that I will be trying tonight. I'm gluten free also, so I just loved the idea of oat flour being used. I can just buy the GF version of oats & grind them as the recipe suggest. I'm beyond excited. Many thanks, again!

     

Label Cloud

   

Popular Posts