Followers

Creamy, No Cook Nacho Sauce

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I'm constantly tweaking my nacho sauce to get the best flavor and consistency and this latest version yields the creamiest and most temperature-stable results. Once blended, it can heat, cool and even re-heat without harming the texture. And the texture, at any temperature, is smooth and creamy.

Original Nacho Sauce
: This sauce still has the best flavor. But, as with any other cornstarch-based sauce, it clumps when it cools. It also doesn't reheat well. I still make this sauce, usually in batches. A cup of sauce, microwaved for a couple minutes works perfectly and there's usually no leftovers.

Chili Cheese Nachos

Xanthan Gum: This is the original nacho sauce is the original sauce, thickened with xantham gum. I was first introduced to xantham gum by my gluten-intolerant mother-in-law. It is used widely in gluten free baking and as a thickener. It thins with friction (shaking or stirring) and sets as it sits, which may be why we shake our salad dressing. And, best of all, it is not affected by temperature. It doesn't thin or thicken as it heats and it doesn't clump as it cools or freezes. I got mine with the bulk spices at the grocery store. It was $22 a pound, but a little goes a very long way. A tsp is roughly equivalent to 8 tsp cornstarch.

No Cook Nacho Sauce:
1/4 cup cashews
1 cup water
2 oz pimentos
1 tsp xanthan gum (scant)
2 tbs nutritional yeast
1/2 small lemon, juiced (about 1 tbs)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs canola oil

Optional: 2 oz diced green chilies, or 1 can for a double recipe
Note: I usually double these amounts.

Add the water and pimentos to a blender and blend thoroughly. Add the cashews and leave in the pimento water while you add the other ingredients. Add the xanthan gum, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt and oil. Blend again until thoroughly combined. Add the green chilies, if using. Serve warm or cold. Makes about 2 cups.

8 Servings: 66 cal (6g fat, 3g carbs, 2g protein)

, , |

SHARE THIS POST:








edit post

4 comments

  1. Stefanie Says:
  2. That looks really good. Is there a substitute for the xanthan gum besides all that cornstarch? I have a taste for nachoes but just need a good sauce.

     
  3. Stefanie, you can substitute the xanthan gum with 2 tbs of cornstarch and microwave it after blending. I usually microwave 1 cup at a time because it's best hot. You could also use arrowroot, which I haven't done.

    There is also a vegan cream cheese version here and a chickpea chedda sauce here

     
  4. Rhonda Says:
  5. I just recently came across your blog, and I have to tell you that it is awesome!!!! My new fave and I check it all the time for new stuff to make..thanks!

     
  6. Erin Says:
  7. I absolutely love the idea of using xantham gum to thicken a cheesy sauce, can't believe I didn't think of it! Yours sounds delicious.

     

Label Cloud

   

Popular Posts