Followers

Jalapeno Corn Sauce

Friday, November 14, 2008

I learned (or remembered) two things this week.

1) When I try hard enough, I can really turn the kitchen into a disaster zone. And it seems, I've been trying all week. On Monday, I made Ginger Tofu and fried rice. I tried to cut corners on the fried rice and cook the rice and veggies together in a pot. It turned into a soppy glutenous mess. And I grated too much ginger for the tofu and used it anyway. Strike One! I really liked it, which is good, because no one else touched it. Tuesday's calzones had a paper-thin crispy crust and a thick wad of doughy mess. Strike two!

On Wednesday, I tried converting a chickpea soup recipe into a rice dish and It almost worked. I added some sugar after the fact and it made a world of difference. Next time I'll add some cabbage as well. I'll call that a foul tip. Tonight, I'm making orzo & rice. Will I strike out for the week or hit a home run? Or maybe I should go for a bunt-single.

2) I really really really really like sauces. I made four this week and, not a one was for a planned meal. I routinely have, at least, a couple in the fridge. And, when I started veganizing recipes, sauces and gravies topped the list. Last night, I had three sauces with dinner: Nacho Sauce and mushrooms smothering a baked potato, carrot sticks with Yummy Sauce, and Jalapeno Corn Sauce on Cauliflower.

The Jalapeno Corn sauce is adapted from the Veganomicon, which is quite good. I changed the spices, added a shake of nutritional yeast and some pimentos for color. I also strained out all the corn fibers that never blend. I like to mix it with black beans, poured over a potato and it was really liked with cauliflower. So, here it is:

corn_sauce

Jalapeno Corn Sauce
(Adapted from Veganomicon)

1 tbs vegetable oil
1 Onion, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded & chopped
3 cloves garlic
2 cups frozen corn
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tbs cornstarch
1/4 cup soy milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 oz jar pimentos
1 1/2 tbs nutritional yeast

In a medium sauce pan, saute the onion and pepper in the oil until soft. Add corn and garlic and cook until the corn is fully cooked and the garlic is fragrant, maybe five more minutes. Pour the onion/corn mixture into a blender, along with the remaining ingredients. Blend thoroughly. Pour the sauce, through a strainer, back into the pan. Heat the sauce until it begins to thicken. Remove and serve. Makes a little less than 3 cups.

10 servings: 72 cal (2g fat, 12g carbs, 2g protein)

, , |

SHARE THIS POST:








edit post

3 comments

  1. Annie Says:
  2. That looks really good and it is possible for me to find almost all the ingredients. Is it okay if I leave out the nutritional yeast? They don't sell it that much in Mexico

     
  3. Tami Says:
  4. Yikes... hope you hit a home run, tonight.

    Sauces can really make the meal. That adaptation looks great! Thanks for the recipe.

     
  5. If you omit the nutritional yeast, I would add something else, like some lemon juice, a little cumin, or even just some salt. But its no problem leaving it out.

     

Label Cloud

   

Popular Posts