Followers

I started my blog a year ago, so this is kind of an anniversary post. I've been reflecting on some of my early posts: Enchiladas, Biscuits & Gravy, various Pestos. It actually started my blog as a way to document my trials adjusting to a vegetarian diet. My Italian upbringing always meant loads of specialty meats and cheeses. And as a vegetarian, it meant loads and loads of cheese. I didn't know how to cook without grated Parmesan or shavings of Pecorino. As my experience grew, my cheese fetish diminished and I gradually veganized my early posts; everything, that is except this recipe. This used to be one of my favorite summer meals, but I haven't made it for over a year because I didn't want to be disappointed by a cheese-less version. Luckily, I wasn't disappointed.

This pasta dish is the epitome of Italian Cuisine. It's a simple dish that relies on a short list of quality fresh ingredients. It goes together fast and the simple ingredients, zucchini, lemon & oregano complement each other beautifully. It think it would also make a marvelous salad, hot or cold, if paired with orzo.

Rigatoni with Zucchini & Lemon

Rigatoni with Zucchini & Lemon
1 lb Rigatoni or similar pasta, or orzo
2 tbs Earth Balance Margarine
3 tbs olive oil, divided
4 cloves garlic, whole or halved
3 zucchini, chopped into chunks
1/2 tbs miso
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1 tbs fresh oregano, chopped
1 lemon, juiced

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. While the water comes to a boil, melt the margarine in a saute pan with 2 tbs olive oil. Add the garlic and saute over medium heat until browned, but not burnt. Remove the garlic from the pan.

When the water comes to a boil, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Meanwhile, add the zucchini and cook until warm but still firm, about 5 minutes. Mix 1 tbs of olive oil with the miso, salt and pepper. Add to the zucchini and stir until the miso is integrated. Add the herbs and stir. Drain the pasta and add to the zucchini. Toss to combine. Squeeze the lemon juice over the pasta and toss again.

4 Servings: 599 cal (18g fat, 73g carbs, 17g protein).

, , , , |

SHARE THIS POST:








edit post

5 comments

  1. Mary Says:
  2. Yum! That looks perfect for summer. Happy first birthday to your blog.

     
  3. That looks delicious, I'm glad you made a cheeseless version so I can try it!

     
  4. Anonymous Says:
  5. Happy blogaversary! A year is a big accomplishment and commitment--thank you so much for all of your posts and recipes! I am sure it is time consuming, but it is much appreciated :-)

    Courtney

     
  6. Unknown Says:
  7. When I saw this recipe I knew I had to make it tonight! I added some white beans and it was so delicious!

     
  8. sallyomally Says:
  9. Happy one year! It's good to go through the archives. I was looking at the really pretty zucchini they had at the store yesterday, and thought of this recipe. I picked up the ingredients to make it for dinner tonight. This is one of the first of your recipes I tried last year. Good stuff!

     

Label Cloud

   

Popular Posts