Followers

Mustard Sauce

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My birthday was Monday. And I was lucky enough to spend my evening, buried at the end of the agenda of a City Council meeting. I got to listen to a lengthy and contentions public hearing about a sewer system. In the end, my business was passed without discussion in a matter of just a couple minutes. I didn't even need to speak. I guess there was a silver lining.

While I didn't have time for a birthday feast, I did decide to make this warm, yogurt-based mustard sauce. I had it on a chickpea burger and some Brussels sprouts. I thought that the mustard flavor competed with the cumin in the chickpea burgers, but over the Brussels sprouts, it was delicious. Be prepared, this sauce is a little warm and is definitely a 'mustard' sauce, but if you like mustard, you'll love this sauce. I can't wait to try it on broccoli and asparagus.

Mustard Sauce

Mustard Sauce
2 tsp brown mustard seed (or yellow seed, divided)
1 tbs vegetable oil
3 tbs yellow mustard seed
1/4 cup shallots, chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup vegetable broth (golden hued)
3/4 cup soy yogurt
2 tbs white wine vinegar
2 tbs agave nectar
1/4 tsp salt
pinch turmeric

Heat a dry sauce pan over a burner, set to medium. Add the brown mustard seed and toast, just until aromatic. Remove the seed and set aside. Heat the oil in the sauce pan. Add the yellow mustard seed and saute until the seeds begin to sizzle. Add the shallots and saute until they begin to soften. Add the white wine and broth. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes, until the liquid has reduced by about half.

Pour into a blender, along with the yogurt, vinegar, and agave nectar. Blend thoroughly. Puah through a strainer back into the sauce pan. Add in toasted brown mustard seed and reheat gently. Stir in the salt, to taste and the turmeric. Add enough turmeric to attain a pleasing color, about 1/8 tsp. Serve warm. Makes about 1 1/2 cups. It's very good if you let it rest overnight then gently reheat. The flavors have a chance meld and the mustard has less of a bite.

6 servings: 113 cal (5g fat, 13g carbs, 3g protein)

, , |

SHARE THIS POST:








edit post

5 comments

  1. Jenn Says:
  2. Sounds delicious!

     
  3. kmouse Says:
  4. Happy Belated Bday! I love mustard. This sauce looks great.

     
  5. Mary Says:
  6. Yum! I love mustard and brussels, so that looks like a great meal!

    Happy birthday to you!

     
  7. Mmm, that looks awesome. Happy birthday hun!

     
  8. Beware! This particular post is being spammed in foreign script. DO NOT click the link or the poster's profile. It will likely take you to a bad place.

    I have resisted moderating comments because I don't want readers to have to wait to see their comments. And that means that posts such as these sometimes sneak through.

    Thanks, Matt

     

Label Cloud

   

Popular Posts