Followers

Cheezy Tofu Enchiladas ... and more!

Friday, July 24, 2009

One of my first posts, and one my most popular early posts was for Black Bean Enchiladas with Nacho Sauce. I didn't have a vegetarian, let alone a vegan, enchilada sauce, so I used canned. I did do some research and came up with a delicious nacho sauce, which I posted yesterday. Since that post, I've posted four different enchilada mixes and three different sauces.

Cheezy Tofu Enchiladas (Below): I've made this a couple of times, now, with a couple of different sauces. I really like the texture. The tofu is simmered in sauce and mixed with brown rice. You'll some extra filling, though, so nibbling at the stove with some corn chips is perfectly all right.

Black Bean Enchiladas: Black Beans, onions and corn make up a simple filling. The emphasis is really on the sauces. As enchiladas go, this one is pretty simple to make. Just don't skimp on the sauce.

Spinach Enchiladas: These have no cheese or cheeze sauce and they don't need it. They are delicious with the tex-mex enchilada sauce. I like to use fresh spinach, but a box of frozen spinach would work fine as well.

Sweet & Citrus Enchiladas
: These may be my favorite. They've got mango and sweet potato and brown rice cooked in a citrus sauce. It's sweet, tangy and delicous and a ferfect match with the California Chili Sauce.

And speaking of sauces, I've come up with three that I've used, mixed and matched with any of the enchiladas listed above. Here they are:

Tex Mex Enchilada Sauce: This is my all time favorite sauce. Originally made with massive quantities of lard, I've refined it, made it vegan and a bit healthier. If I had some strange Rule 34 fetish, it would be with this sauce.

California Chili Enchilada Sauce
: This takes some time to make, but its got a simple, refreshing flavor, its low in calories ... and its my kids' favorite.

Black Bean Mole Sauce: Yes, I know. Moles aren't vegan. But this thick sauce is super tasty and very nutritious. My favorite use of this sauce is still as a dip for corn chips, but its great on tacos or enchiladas too.

Tofu & Veggie Enchiladas

Cheezy Tofu Enchiladas
10 medium flour tortillas
1 lb tofu, drained & crumbled (12 or 14 oz is ok)
1 red onion, chopped
4 oz can sliced olives
1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and chunked
1 cup brown rice
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup nacho sauce
1 recipe California Chili Enchilada Sauce (3 cups).

Cook the brown rice, then set aside. Meanwhile, prepare the veggies and tofu. Add 1 cup of enchilada sauce to a pan along with the onion, olives, zucchini, salsa and crumbled tofu. Simmer until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in the rice and set aside.

Add a few spoonfuls of enchilada sauce into a 9x13 casserole, just enough to cover. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce into a pie dish For each tortilla, dip into the sauce and flip, so both sides are coated. Add 4-5 heaping tablespoons of filling. Wrap each tortilla and place tightly into the casserole.

Heat the nacho sauce in a sauce pan or microwave. Pour over the enchiladas. Then pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas. Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, until bubbling.

5 Servings: 582 cal (19g fat, 86g carbs, 19g protein)

, , , |

SHARE THIS POST:








edit post

0 comments

Label Cloud

   

Popular Posts